RER B map
Beware of Pickpockets
Pickpockets are unfortunately very well implemented on the Parisian metro network. Around 100 new snatching cases are held by the police in Paris every day. That doesn’t mean that you should be worried nor avoid taking the metro, but you should be extremely careful, more than you usually are. Having a wallet or a phone stolen while traveling on a metro line in Paris without noticing it on the moment, is something that happens many times a day, so you should take your precautions to not be the next victim. The parisian police highly recommends to travel with anti-theft bags. Those bags are manufactured in a way that it makes it very different to open them quickly to take what is inside. Therefore, it is extremely difficult for the pickpockets to deal with those bags. Different sizes are available, from the backpacks (available here), to the handbags (here is how it looks like) or shoulder bags (example here).
RER B Overview
RER B is a train line which crosses Paris from the northeast to the southwest. It connects the airport of Roissy – Charles de Gaulle and the city of Mitry – Claye in the north, to the cities of Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse and Le Plessis-Robinson in the south, through the city center of Paris.
Launched in 1977, around 1,000,000 passengers are using RER B every day. The main function of the line is to link the center of Paris to the 2 major airports of Orly and Roissy – Charles de Gaulle.
Tourist attractions on RER B
RER B is known for serving important airports and train stations. There are also interesting tourist sites located on the line :
- The famous gothic Notre-Dame Cathedral is served by station Saint-Michel – Notre-Dame. It is one of the largest church buildings in the world.
- The Stade de France, stadium of the French national football team, is served by station La Plaine – Stade de France.
RER B stations
RER B line serves many important stations both inside and outside the boarders of Paris.
- Antony station is located close to the airport of Orly. You can reach it by using the Orlyval train from there. You can see here how to reach the airport of Orly from Paris.
- Port Royal station is known for the terrorist attack suffered in 1996 which killed 4 people and wounded 170.
- Saint-Michel – Notre-Dame station is located next to the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. It is also known for the terrorist bombing of 1995 where 8 people were killed and 80 wounded.
- Châtelet – Les Halles is the biggest metro station in the world, located in the centre of Paris. It is a major interchange station which offers many connections to other metro and RER lines.
- Paris – Gare du Nord is connected to Gare du Nord, which is the biggest train station in Paris. You can take there the Eurostar to London or the Thalys train to Brussels and Amsterdam.
- La Plaine – Stade de France station serves the Stade de France, stadium which hosts the games of the French national football team.
- Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle 1 is located just next to the Terminal 3 of Roissy – Charles de Gaulle airport.
- Aéroport Charles-de-Gaulle 2 TGV station is located into the Terminal 2 of the airport. It is also served by the high speed train TGV. You can see here how to reach Paris from the airport of Roissy Charles-de-Gaulle.
Airports and Train Stations on RER B
- The airport of Roissy – Charles de Gaulle is the northern terminus of the line. Both terminals 1 and 2 have their own RER station.
- The airport of Orly is reachable from Antony station in the south of Paris.
- The train station Gare du Nord, from which you can step in the Eurostar to London, is also located on RER B line.
Metro lines connected to RER B
- Metro 2, metro 4, metro 5 , RER D and RER E at Paris – Gare du Nord.
- Metro 1, metro 4, metro 7, metro 11, metro 14, RER A and RER D at Châtelet – Les Halles.
- Metro 4, metro 10 and RER C at Saint-Michel – Notre Dame.
- Metro 4 and metro 6 at Denfert-Rochereau.
RER B Ticket price
If you take the RER B within the borders of Paris, then the standard metro ticket price applies, €2.10. However, be careful, you will have to pay more if you travel outside of Paris. A ticket from the airport of Roissy Charles-de-Gaulle to Paris will, for example, cost €10.30.
TIP : Use The 4 Day Paris All-Inclusive Pass and get FREE entrance to the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, the Palace of Versailles, the Arc de Triomphe, 1 day hop-on, hop-off Paris bus tour, a Seine river cruise, a French wine tasting in the Louvre cellar and many other activities. You would pay much more if you would buy the tickets for those attractions separately.
RER B timetable
You can check the schedule of the RER B line on the site of RATP.
In direction of Roissy – Charles de Gaulle airport / Mitry-Claye
RER B timetable CDG Airport/Mitry-Claye
In direction of Orly airport / Robinson / Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse
RER B timetable to Robinson/St-Remy-lès-Chevreuse